Saturday, April 14, 2012

1 Mile, I Got That

Back again.  If you are making a repeat visit here, thanks.  Careful though it may become a routine for you.  So, I have told you a bit on the beginning of this journey.  It really is still in its infancy so you are the lucky ones that get to read all this before I become an internet celeb.  Yeah, ahem.....
After my wife and I decided to do the biggest winner (loser) competition and I started hitting the gym and eating better, I got bored, fast.  It happens.  I was looking for something a bit different, not sure why, the gym seemed to be working well.  I ventured the path of DVD workout.  I won't name it here but I will say it is a crazy program.  After plugging in a few videos and realizing  how out of shape I really am, I decided I should hold off on that until I can do more than 4 push-ups (real ones, not the kiddie ones).  The program has merit and will be a great thing to do I am kind of looking forward to it.  I'm sure 60 days of complete hell will be awesome.
Now I was bored with the gym and scared of hitting play on the DVD.  What then will I do?  How will I get that trim and slender body besides using Photoshop?  I will take the easy way out, run.  Grab my  iPod lace up my kicks and run all over the neighborhood.  Nothing to it, I was a track star, I can run.  
Run #1.....Music going, chill in the April air, my path all set (you see my wife is already at this point running in a club and on her own so I used her route).  So start with 1 mile, nothing, 4 trips around a track, 1/8 the length that Eminem took in his movie.  I got this.  So I start at a good trot, don't want to over do it, want to make sure I can still scamper along.  And after the 1st block we are walking.  Yup, ole track star here almost passed out before the 100m dash, let alone 1 mile.  Who had the stupid idea of running.  So after realizing I am not going to get a 10 minute mile, I resign to walk/jog/walk/jog.  I get home, yes it was the same day, about 20 mins later, my mile complete.  My legs and lungs both feel like they were rubbed in napalm.
Ok, so I get it.  I'm not 17 and 160lbs.  I may not feel it in my head or act all the time but, I'm all grown-up.  Dunno when that happened but apparently you have to trade in any endurance and muscle tone you had in exchange for love handles and your grandfathers knees.  So what am I getting at here?  Why give you the free pass to my private humiliation (well me and the people looking out the front windows laughing at the tubby that thinks he can run a mile).  I am telling you this so you can laugh at me, really, its hilarious, I wish it was on camera.  Also so if you do venture to get back in shape you can rest easy that its not just you getting out of breath just opening the gym doors.  If you are lucky enough to be in the shape you want to be, and have fought to get back there well, then you can remember the time early on in your change that you wanted to crawl back on the couch, eat a giant steak and cheese sub and put your work out gear on the lawn for the next garage sale.
Well enough for now, I'm getting winded again.  Thanks again for coming.  
I'm branching out.  I pulled the little bird out of moth balls and started to tweet again.  Yup, those on twitter, @joelrcannon.  Google+, add me to your circle, just on the right there.  Many of you came from Facebook but its Joel Cannon.  As always you can leave comments below.  Someone else besides my wife....getting a little embarrassing.  Love you dear!
-Joel



4 comments:

  1. I think we should start an out of shape fathers club.... We all could use a little motivation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Kev. We could call it Hops and Barbells or, Sneakers and Suds. I get motivation everytime I brush my teeth and my stomach wiggled like I'm Santa.

      Delete
  2. Joel, I think this is great. I'm sure Chris is as proud of you as Howard was with me. Last year I lost 70 pounds. Seriously, no idea how I gained 70 freakin' pounds.

    These posts are inspiring and will keep you going. My beginning started with understanding what to eat. Starting with breakfast. Also, knowing to lose weight I had to cut my calories down and journal to keep me on track.

    I recently just gained 20 pounds back and I need to get serious again. Damn Alaskan winter makes you fat. :)

    So, I'll be checking in and gaining inspiration here--- thanks!

    "if you think you can, if you think you can't, you are right."

    Love this quote---so true.

    :). Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I knew you were reading, it shows where I get views from and I saw Alaska lit up....had to be you. Great to hear about the weight loss, you would be blazing on the soccer field this year. Thanks for saying this helps you be inspired, makes me feel good. Great quote, love that one too. I mentioned change before, think it was Albert Einstein said, The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Any small change can help. Keep up the great work, and keep me posted on how you're doing.

      Delete