Friday, April 27, 2012

Eating, Not Where You Shoot for Fastest Time

I mentioned before I was switching how/what I eat.  I didn't want to "diet" I wanted to still eat the things I like, enjoy a pint, Jack and coke, or pint of Jack,  but not totally alter my eating habits.  I know there are changes that need to be made.  Additions as well as subtractions in the whole scheme of what I decide to toss down my gullet.
If you want recipes, low-fat food, what fits where in the ever evolving food pyramid, you wont find it here.  I will still have ice cream, which I believe in the current pyramid is just right of Guinness and on top of chicken finger sub.
Two of my biggest issues are quantity and late night snacks.  I come from a retail background and with limited or short breaks, I would finish a meal in 52.1 seconds.  Actually, I think the speed originated from having to finish so my sister didn't steal it.  I eat so quickly I don't know I am full until I have 3 servings too much of something and sit on the couch 20 minutes later wondering if I might literally start shooting shirt buttons across the room.  Look out kids, Dads shooting, duck and cover the 37 pounds of General Tso might have been a tad too much.  Just like running I have to learn to pace meals.  I figured this out easy a few weeks ago when I bolted out of my driveway at speeds a professional marathoner would be proud of only to get a block away and wonder if I am going to have to crawl home.  I pace now running, a bit of run, a little walk, slower run, faster walk.  I'm not getting dizzy or passing out 4 houses down now.  Why is it then that dinner is a sprint?  My wife sits down and I'm putting my plate in the sink cause I am finished, and I already had seconds of some.  Yeah, I eat fast.  When I think about it and take my time I find I am full with usually 1 serving and maybe a little too full at that.  I give my stomach time to tell my brain "fatty, we can't hold anymore down here, we're gonna blow!".  A good steady pace.  Be the tortoise, you don't see fat turtles, they eat too slow to gain weight.
My other problem is eating well past the recommended magic hour of 7pm.  Give or take, they, the skinny experts that do everything right and have 6-packs, say no eating after 7.  I guess if you go to bed at a normal time and don't stay up writing blogs then 7 is a good time to stop eating.  Of course, if you stay up late doing whatever and are really hungry you could probably eat something good for you like veggies.  Nope, late night eating demands something that is going to add onto your pounds so parts of your body that shouldn't shake from simple tasks like brushing your teeth jiggle in such a way to rival St. Nick.  That's how you late night snack if you are going to.  So, to those that have duties that keep you up after 9-10pm.  Try first to drink lots of water, they say that fills you up, tricks your body into thinking you are full.  Well, someone told my body long ago about that trick, doesn't work for me.  It laughs and says "sure, we are all set, no need to actually taste anything or have density to satisfy your hunger".  Seeing that does nothing for me, except make be get up from the computer on an all to regular basis like a pregnant lady at 9months with an 8 pound baby on her bladder, I choose to eat.  No, just like pacing at dinner, I need to find my trick here.  I don't know, maybe put the 5 scoops of cookie dough down and grab something a little better.  See, I still want to eat at these hours.  I don't want to make a wholesale change to what I do, I just need to adjust.  With the changes, including running or whatever exercise (you would think writing about running, health, losing weight I could spell exercise and not have to hit backspace 6 times cause spell check tells me I'm wrong) I should drop down to a better weight.
If you are looking at getting healthier, maybe you don't need to lose weight, just want to tone up, I hate you if that is the case, maybe you need to lose both your daughters baby weight and your wife's pregnancy weight, no matter your situation, you don't have to just rely on twigs, nuts, and dandelion leaves.  Just start with small adjustments and you will see some results.
Before I let you go, I have said before I really appreciate your time here and love to hear about what you are doing, things you have tried, or just how you feel about my witty literature (your words not mine)(ok mine).  I wanted to share 2 quick things.  First there is a guy that for whatever reason, not saying it was me, I have no idea why but glad to hear, this guy has started going to the gym, consecutive days, almost a week now I think.  That is great to hear, from no working out to finding himself there day in and out, great start!!!!!!   The second thing, comes from a lass that told me reading this inspires her to start running again.  That is awesome, not the reason I tell you, I tell you because she doesn't know if she can fit runs into her schedule, but may be able to get some long walks in pulling a wagon behind her.  As she said, might be little but steps in the right direction.  So true, something is better than nothing.
So I bid you farewell now, don't listen to anyone I work with if they say I brought in 2 dozen donuts for them today.....they lie.  Take care, keep the messages, comments and views coming.
Thanks - Joel

4 comments:

  1. What's up Joel? I am liking your blogs.Keep up the good work! If you ever need a running partner let me know. I am hoping to do some 5k races and more as well. I have been running for a few months now and I am up to 5 miles. I also learned to pace myself and it has helped a ton. I hope you continue your quest, it is so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hello Mr. Campas. Glad to hear from you. Hope everyone is well. Thanks for reading. I am looking to do some 5ks to, want to go higher but have to start real small first. I'm not at the 5k mark yet but soon will be. Let me know when you start looking at some races. We will have to try some together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog.. I totally agrre.. your sister would steal your food!! LOl.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the back up Michelle. It was tough growing up, lol

      Delete