Sunday, April 15, 2012

I Got Sneaks but I Need a New Pair

Hello again!  Some more time travel.  Last time we talked, well I did and you listened, I was telling you about my 1st mile.  Lets now jump to Yesterday when I made the plunge.  I went and got a new pair of kicks.  Yes, I do run faster and jump higher.  I am not going to really give advice here.  I will relay stories, things I read/learn/hear for those that are looking to run, try to make you at least smile and keep trying to inspire those Alaskians (no offense meant if that is the wrong title).  As I was saying, I wont REALLY give advice here, that means I still can if I feel the need.  So, if you are going to do any kind of workout/training/running program.  1. Really, asking your doc isn't a bad idea.  2. Reading and learning all you can prior to jumping into a big change in what you are doing is a good idea, will help you to be more effective in what you are doing and help to keep you from getting injured.  3. Get the proper equipment, in my case for this, sneakers.  The most important, just ahead of socks (and those tight spandex biker shorts, very important for me saves from chafing).  Actually I think my iPod is just above the socks.
So, instead of heading to a shop that has 50,000 pairs in racks and racks where you hope you talk to someone that knows the difference, I headed to a shop that really specializes in running, all facets.  I got measured, did a little cat walk so they could tell how my feet hit the ground and was presented with 3 pairs.  The ones in the pic were the 1st pair.  Felt great.  I tried the other 2, they were good but, these were a winning pair.
I took them out for a spin yesterday and, to my pleasure, a certain pain I had been having was almost non-existent.  I'm sure the pain was caused by my previous sneakers, a little old but still working.  So lovingly referred to by my wife as "little more than flip-flops".  It made the run that much more enjoyable.
Ok, that's all for now, just wanted to show off my new ride.  Until next time, I challenge you to pick one thing you are going to change.  No matter how big or small.  If its eating 1 helping at a meal instead of two, going for a walk around the block after dinner, or on a break at work.  Doesn't matter, everyone can find something.  Let me know in the comments what you picked and how it worked for you.  This is my week to up my run from 1 mile to 1.5 and maybe 2 by the end of the week.  Ill let you know.  Also if you enjoy my ramblings, pass it along.  Good night.  -Joel

5 comments:

  1. Hey Joel, you still sound like the same guy i knew a million years ago :) I'm finding you pretty entertaining and hoping for some inspiration. I've been doing Weight Watchers since September and lost 30 pounds but am kind stuck. So the one thing i'm picking this week is to get back tracking my points. I'm not motivated enought yet to add much exercise, but it's a start. Keep blogging, and i'll keep checking in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill, great to hear from you. 30 pounds is awesome. Everyone hits a plateau, the important part is not get discouraged. Getting back to tracking your points is a good way to start moving down again. Thanks for checking in, Ill be waiting to hear how it went this week.

      Delete
  2. Well Joely, good for you on the working out, eating better and the new kicks!!! It's about time (yes I have room to talk because I started before you) I'm down 16lbs (as of today) but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I've been up and down but it's been a good ride. I don't go to the gym as often as I was in the beginning but as you said before,anything is better than nothing! So, just remember, when you don't want to do it or you want to cut your run short, that your cripple @$$ sister did 5 miles on the bike in 22 minutes, so go an extra 2 minutes!!!!! You can do it!!!! (in my Rob Schnieder voice from ever Sandler movie!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the boost sis. It's great to hear you are still losing. Good thing you are on a stationary bike, cant run into any wires by a football field that way. Keep pushing yourself, 16 pounds is great and yeah, the fact that you are going to the gym still is a giant plus. Stick around, you might just catch me in a marathon on some future date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahahahahah, funny, well now it is :) Maybe if you tie a box of chicken wings to your back I'll catch ya!!!! (yes, I still eat wings sometimes) And the fact that I'm cheap is what keeps me going to the gym. Why pay for something you don't use? Anywho,keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete